Preparation – 30 minutes
Cooking – 110 minutes
Portions – 6
3 medium sized baking potatoes – peeled and very thinly and evenly sliced using a Mandolin
15 grams unsalted butter
1 medium sized white onion – peeled and thinly sliced
2 garlic cloves – peeled, pound to a purée with a pinch of sea salt using a pestle and mortar
150 grams Philadelphia Original
200 ml milk
Freshly ground white pepper
55 grams Gruyère cheese, finely grated (or other good melting cheese)
- Preheat oven to 200ºC, 390ºF, gas mark 6.
- Lightly brush a 20 cm by 16 cm ovenproof dish with very soft butter.
- Put the butter into a medium sized saucepan, when melted add the onion, cook over a low heat until the onions begin to soften, add the garlic and stir to combine.
- While stirring throughout – add the cream cheese then gradually add the milk, cook until the cheese melts and all the ingredients are combined and well blended.
- Arrange half of the potatoes around the base of the dish, overlapping slightly, season with white pepper.
- Pour half of the sauce over this layer.
- Repeat steps 5 and 6 with remaining potatoes and sauce then sprinkle the Gruyère cheese over the sauce.
- Cover with kitchen foil and bake for 60 minutes, take out of the oven and remove the foil, bake for approx. 25 to 30 minutes, or until the top is lightly tinged with gold and the potatoes fully cooked.