These are lovely tasty potatoes, we served them with a simple steak cooked medium rare and some freshly cooked seasonal vegetables, in our case this was French Green Beans. You can use other types of cheese, my preference – if available here in Spain – would be a mature Wensleydale as it is a good melting cheese.
20 medium size new season potatoes
4 rashers lean smoked back bacon
140 grams mature Farmhouse Cheddar
55 grams unsalted butter – melted
Pinch each – sea salt, ground black pepper and freshly grated nutmeg
1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
Garnish – oregano leaves, julienne
- Simmer the potatoes in salted water or stock until just tender, drain well.
- Grill – or dry fry – the bacon until crisp and lightly browned, allow to cool a little then crumble and put to one side.
- Grate the cheese, reserve.
- Cut tops off each potato and scoop out the flesh and put the tops to one side, then cut a thin piece off the base of each potato.
- Combine potato flesh with the butter, cheese and bacon, season lightly then spoon back into the potato shells before returning the lid.
- Brush with olive oil and arrange in a baking dish lined with non stick baking parchment.
- Bake in a preheated oven set to 200°C/392°F/gas mark 6 – or until the filling is a golden colour and the cheese is bubbling, garnish with the herbs and serve immediately.