2 large sweet potatoes
2 tsp chilli powder
1 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp cayenne powder
1/2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp sea salt
1/2 tsp ground black pepper
1 bowl of iced water
- Peel the sweet potatoes, thinly slice around the equator, using either a very sharp knife or a mandoline, immediately transfer to a bowl of iced water and leave for an hour, then drain through a colander and lay onto either kitchen towel, pat dry with a second towel.
- Sift the chilli powder, garlic powder, cayenne, cumin, salt and pepper into a bowl.
- Place the vegetable oil into a deep far fryer and set temperature to 190ºC, when the oil has reached temperature fry the potatoes, a few at a time, for 3 minutes or until a light golden brown.
- Tip from the wire basket onto paper kitchen towels to remove excess oil, when the oil has reached set temperature continue cooking the remainder.
- When all are cooked, season with the spicy mixture and serve with dips and lager.