Potato bakes are a fantastic way to make potatoes just that bit special, they are one of the easiest dishes and can be made at any time of the year using main crop or new season potatoes.
This one is lovely.
800 grams new season potatoes, scrubbed and thinly sliced
120 grams diced pancetta
2 leeks, washed and thinly sliced (white part only)
2 tbsp olive oil
1 sprig fresh rosemary, use leaves only
85 grams of grated Gruyere cheese (or if you prefer a mature English Cheddar)
1. Preheat the oven to 200ºC
2. Cook the potatoes in a pan of lightly salted boiling water for 10 minutes, or until just tender.
3. Meanwhile, fry the pancetta in a non stick frying pan until crispy.
4. Add the leeks to the boiling water with the potatoes for the last 2 minutes of cooking time, the leeks should be wilted, drain well.
5. Toss the potatoes, leeks and pancetta together with the olive oil and rosemary.
6. Season to taste, then spoon the mixture into a buttered shallow ovenproof dish (evenly).
7. Scatter the grated cheese over the top, bake in centre of the preheated oven for 20 minutes, or until golden brown and crispy on top.