100 grams fresh spearmint (or other mint, to taste), leaves only
100 grams pitted black olives
1/2 red onion, peeled and quartered
100 grams bread crumbs
700 grams minced lamb, not too lean
6 hamburger buns or try lightly toasted small ciabatta rolls
Chilli Cucumber Relish
3 Golden Gourmet shallots, peeled and finely sliced
1 large cucumber, peeled, seeded, quartered and finely sliced
2 fat garlic cloves, finely chopped
2 fresh red jalapeños chillies, seeded and finely chopped
1 tbsp finely grated ginger
4 tbsp white rice vinegar
Maldon sea salt flakes and freshly ground black pepper
- Preheat the griddle to medium
- Place the shallots, cucumber, garlic, chillies and ginger into a bowl.
- Add the rice vinegar and toss to evenly mix the ingredients.
- Season to taste.
- Cover with cling film and refrigerate until burgers are ready.
- Add the mint, black olives, red onion and bread crumbs to a food processor, pulse until well blended.
- Transfer to a large bowl, add the minced lamb and mix well to thoroughly combine.
- Mould the meat mixture, using your hands, into 6 patties and place on the hot, oiled griddle.
- Cook the patties for 6 to 7 minutes each side or to taste, depending on how thick the burgers are.
- Toast the buns then top with the burger and a little of the salad
- Golden Gourmet shallot is mild tasting and a common ingredient used in casseroles and salads
Try serving accompanied by oven baked French fries with home made tomato ketchup.
Oven Baked French Fries
4 baking potatoes
1 dessert spoon (2 tsp) virgin olive oil
1 tsp sea salt flakes (I use Maldon)
- Preheat oven to 230ºC, 450°F, gas mark 8.
- Wash, peel and cut potatoes into even sized slices, cut each slice into fries.
- Place onto a clean tea towel and pat dry.
- Place onto a lightly oiled baking sheet in a single layer and lightly spray with the oil and sprinkle with sea salt.
- Bake for 15 minutes in the preheated oven, turn and bake for a further 10 minutes, then turn again.
- Turn off the oven, leave for 5 minutes, remove and serve immediately.
Fresh Tomato Ketchup
1 kg whole ripe tomatoes – skinned, deseeded and roughly chopped
1 large onion – peeled and sliced
100 grams light soft brown sugar
155 ml apple cider vinegar
1 clove garlic – crushed
1 tbsp tomato purée
1/2 tsp original French Dijon mustard
1/4 tsp all spice
1/4 tsp ground mace
1/2 cinnamon stick *
4 whole cloves *
Bay leaf *
1/2 tsp whole black peppercorns *
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- Put the tomatoes and onion in a large, heavy based saucepan, stir.
- Cover, simmer, stirring occasionally for 60 minutes, or until soft.
- Push the tomatoes and onion through a sieve and return to the pan.
- Add the sugar, vinegar, garlic, tomato purée, mustard, ground all spice and ground mace.
- Put the items (marked *) in a piece of muslin and tie with string, add this to the pan.
- Simmer until thick, stirring often.
- When ready remove the muslin bag and check the taste, adjust if necessary and add seasoning to taste.
- Allow the ketchup to cool then decant into bottles and add the screw caps.
- Store in the refrigerator.