4 tbsp olive oil
1 small red onion – peeled and sliced
2 banana shallots – peeled and sliced
3 lemon thyme sprigs
4 slices of pancetta (or streaky bacon)
900 grams whole unpeeled Jersey Royal potatoes – washed
6 whole unpeeled garlic cloves
2 tbsp Canadian pure maple syrup
Pinch salt and pepper
Garnish – 1 rounded tbsp finely chopped fresh lemon thyme leaves
- Preheat oven to 100ºC, 210ºF.
- Lightly oil a roasting tin, add the onions and shallots and season lightly; drizzle with remaining oil, add a sprig of thyme, cover the tin with foil and cook in the preheated oven until tender; approx. 20 to 25 minutes.
- Leave to cool then separate into rings.
- At the same time, cook the pancetta – on a baking tray lined with greaseproof paper, place a second sheet of paper over the top – for 15 minutes, or until crispy and golden – put to one side.
- Increase oven temperature to 180ºC, 355ºF, gas mark 4.
- Place a roasting tin in the oven to preheat.
- Cook the potatoes in boiling salted water until tender, drain well.
- Remove the roasting tin from the oven when hot, drizzle the oil over the tin and very carefully add the potatoes and garlic, plus a sprig of thyme.
- Return to the oven for approx. 5 minutes, or until a light golden colour – toss half way through.
- Remove from the oven, drizzle the syrup over the potatoes, add the onion, mix well then return to the oven for two minutes.
- Transfer to a serving dish, lightly crush the pancetta and scatter over the potatoes.
- Garnish with finely chopped thyme leaves.